2013 Tony Hillerman Writers Conference
The conference is full! Registration is now closed. If you haven't registered, we hope you can join us next year. The Location:
We're pleased to announce the conference headquarters will be at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, at 100 Sandoval Street, in Santa Fe, N.M.
The Hilton is an ideal location - just two blocks from the historic Santa Fe Plaza. This Spanish Colonial-style hotel combines comfort with old-world charm. Guest rooms are designed in Southwestern motif capturing our brilliant New Mexico colors. Discover downtown Santa Fe's shops, restaurants, and museum with ease from this AAA Four Diamond hotel.
To reserve a room at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza call toll free 1-800-HILTONS (445-8667), (505) 988-2811 Ask for the WORDHARVEST/Tony Hillerman Writers Conference room rate. Or book Online
Rates for November 7 - 9, 2013 for conference attendees $119.00 - single or double occupancy, before taxes. Rate for the room block is good until October 8, 2013.
Price includes internet access and use of the hotel's fitness center, seasonal outdoor pool, and year round hot tub with kiva fireplace.
Parking: The Hilton will charge $5.00 per vehicle/per day with in/out privileges.
The Conference Schedule:
Our workshops are open to and will be useful for writers of all genres! Schedule subject to change.
Thursday, November 7 - Preconference Workshop
- 9 – 11:45 a.m. - "Waltzing Your Characters Into Life," presented by Margaret Coel
- 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Lunch on Your Own
- 1:30 – 4:00 p.m. - "Great Openings and Endings," presented by James McGrath Morris
Friday, November 8 - The Craft of Writing
- 7:30 – 9:00 a.m. - New Book and Author Breakfast, moderated by Linda Jacobs
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. - "Writing Great Dialog," presented by Craig Johnson
- 11 a.m. – Noon - "Perfect Plotting," presented by Margaret Coel
- Noon – 1:00 p.m. - "Murder as a Fine Art: the Literary Thriller that Pushes the Envelope," with best-selling thriller author David Morrell
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. - Panel Presentation: "A Sense of Place," with Lesley Poling-Kempes (moderator), Anne Hillerman, Margaret Coel, Deanne Stillman
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. - "How to Tell a Story: It's Not As Easy As You Think," presented by Kirk Ellis
- 5 – 6 p.m. - Book signing with the day's presenters + cash bar
- 7 - 9 p.m. - "Writing with the Stars," first-page critiques with David Morrell and literary agent Liz Trupin-Pulli
Saturday, November 9 - The Business of Writing
- Breakfast on Your Own
- 9 – 10 a.m. - "Eat Your Veggies and Do Social Media: Necessities for Authors in the Digital Age," presented by Ashley M. Biggers
- 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. - Panel Presentation: "The Always Changing World of Publishing," with Peter Joseph, St. Martin's Press; Clark Whitehorn, University of New Mexico Press; and Rachel Deahl, Publisher's Weekly; and Sally Ooms, print journalist and author
- Noon – 1:30 p.m. - Hillerman Prize Luncheon
Announcement of the 2013 Tony Hillerman Prize for Best First Mystery with St. Martin's Press editor Peter Joseph; "Finding the Lost," presented by author Christine Barber, inaugural Hillerman Prize winner
- 2 – 3:30 p.m. - "Will My Work Ever Be Published?", with Dawn Wink (moderator), James McGrath Morris, Susan Guyette,
Liz Trupin-Pulli, others TBA
- 4– 5 p.m. - "Managing Your Manuscript," presented by Steve Havill
- 6 – 7 p.m. - Book signing with the day's presenters + cash bar
- 7 p.m. – Dinner and keynote talk, "Yes, there are books—Adventures in Television" by Craig Johnson